Saturday, January 22, 2011

What exactly is a British Pound?

The flight from Houston to London was uneventful, which in my opinion is always a good thing when one is flying above 2000 miles of ocean.  They served a snack and several beverages followed by a meal which smelled heavenly but was lacking in flavor, several more beverages later and a morning snack (heavenly) was served.  I never eat breakfast, so that croissant and cup of melon was perfect for me.  They even served the croissant warm!

Back to the flight…because my original flight was missed, I lost my beautiful window seat assignment.  Prior to boarding the new flight I requested a window seat and the boarding agent gave me the hook up.  I had an entire row (3 seats) to myself!!!  Woo Hoo!

The truly beautiful thing about reeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy long flights is that they have equally cool amenities. Along with the customary reclining seat and amazing service; I was able to watch new release movies, listen to pretty much any kind of music I wanted to, play games of all varieties ( I chose one that gave me an intro to Arabic,) and I was able to charge my laptop and Touch the entire way, all from the back of the seat in front of me.  The only thing I was unable to do…sleep.

So now I am literally beyond exhaustion.  I am functioning on several tiny cups of coffee on the flight, and two very expensive (by my standards) cappuccinos.  OMG, they are amazingly good though. I am hoping these two cappuccinos will get me through two more hours until I get on the flight to Cairo.  It’s a nice long flight in which I plan to sleep the whole way even if it means leaning on my seat mates.

I am actually worrying about finances now.  I have spent nearly $30 on two cups of coffee and ten minutes of internet time.  American money isn’t worth nearly as much as British money.  Seriously, I bought a cappuccino, handed the woman at the counter a $20 and she gave me back 8 Pounds and some change.  (To my British friends, forgive my lack of a Pound sign, I can’t seem to find it on this laptop.) It literally makes me nauseous with worry.  I am terrified that I will be stranded somewhere with no finances to support myself.  I wasn’t anticipating this exchange rate, only Cairo’s.  Hopefully I am worrying for no reason. 

One thing I was anticipating, I miss the kids and my roommate.  I am still in mommy vacation mode, but when I think about four months abroad without them and then two more when I get home and they are at their dad’s, it makes me kinda sad.  My roommate I miss a considerable amount.  I wish she were here with me as I sit in this airport café and listen to all the beautiful languages around me.  I would love to have had her on my flight looking out at the Atlantic (when I could see it.) It would have been a nice experience to have shared with someone.

All in all, this trip has been perfect so far.  It is still so overwhelming that it’s real and that I am no longer in the United States.  I never thought, in a million years, I would get to do this while I am still so young.  It’s a dream come true already.  I have some pretty amazing people in my life and I am more than grateful for each one. 

You made this possible for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment