Saturday, January 22, 2011

So, I Will Never Drive in Cairo....Ever!

My Night:

  • Land in Cairo
  • Get Visa (shiny sticker as it turns out)
  • Go through Immigration
  • Leave Immigration and head down to baggage claim
  • They lost my luggage (took thirty minutes to determine it was still in London, good news is, they deliver)
  • Go through the area where you declare items (since I had none of my items, I had nothing to declare)
  • Find guy with AUC sign and we go get in the car/van thingy.
This is where it gets good.  Turns out there really are no traffic laws in Cairo. Sure, there are lines painted on the streets, but those are merely suggestions.  Also, no posted speed limit signs..not that I could read anyway. I know at one point we were going 110km/h.  Put the speed in with a street that has suggestive lines delegating it as a two lane road  when in reality there are five.  If you look down the road ahead of you, it looks comparable to 400 third graders trying to get to a candy tray right outside a doorway.  Most of the time, even at 110,I could have reached out a window and shook hands with the person driving next to us and several times I thought we were going to die. Oh, and forget being a pedestrian.  You can be walking down a street with no one but you in it and a car will come through beeping its horn at you.  yeah, and just for the record, turns out the rumors are true.  While walking around the area looking for a shop that will take American $$$ AND has blankets, I got whistled at on 8 or 9 different occasions.  I chose to be flattered, and I have decided I need to make a friend boy soon.

Back to my list
  • I get to the dorm, which is lucky considering the drive and get checked it
  • get a room key and head up to the room where I discover...I don't have a blanket.  Evidently only the dorms on the main campus come equipped with blankets and towels.
  • So, not only am I without most of my things, clean clothing included, I have no blanket.  Or pajamas.
Thank God I stole the airplane blanket from Continental.

No comments:

Post a Comment