Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One More Full Day…

It’s Tuesday night and I leave Thursday afternoon.  I am beyond excited and so nervous.  I am a mom.  Do mom’s do this?  What if I forget how airports work or if I fall asleep in the terminal and miss a flight.  It’s a 20 hour process, I could fall asleep.  What if I forget something important?  What if I didn’t try hard enough to learn the things I needed to learn prior to leaving?

Everything I have read talks about the panic before the actual departure.  After I walk through security at the airport, it is complete “do what I have to do” mode.  I have to get where I am going.  Once there, I can figure the rest out.

Cairo has 20 million people in it.  I have been in LA, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, and Anchorage, AK (far far smaller.)  I am having a hard time conceiving of that many people. 

I picture in my mind this old society.  I don’t know why, even after reading and looking through pictures, that Cairo is wrapped in the sense of extreme antiquity.  In between the images I have in my head of the busy city streets I have seen here, the history I have studied, and the reading I have done on Cairo today, I still have this..not romantic, but historical attachment to the depth and length of the history there.

I know that I will see extreme poverty.  The poverty there is worse than anything I can grasp based on the poverty I have both lived and seen here. 

Another biggee for me is that I have 10+ tattoos that all need to stay pretty covered, I am a woman, so modesty is a must, and I don’t know with 100% confidence that I have a good grasp of the attire expected of me beyond that.

Finances are a HUGE concern.  Right now the exchange rate for the US Dollar to the Egyptian Pound is 6 to $1 American.  I just don’t know how much things there cost.  I got every scholarship I had time to apply for.  I hope the money I have to go with and my monthly inheritance is enough to keep me afloat and to still be able to do and see the things I am there to do.  why travel around the world if I am just going to stay in a dorm, right?

There are so many fears to be faced in doing something like this.  There are fears you don’t even recognize.  I know that I have been having strange dreams and haven’t been sleeping well, but I couldn’t tell you what I was dreaming about.  I must check my email 30 times a day and my bank account the same amount.  Once I am on the plane, it isn’t possible for the other shoe to drop, but right now, it’s still entirely possible for something to happen.  Right now, I am just doing everything I can do and praying that I did every single thing I could and can.

No comments:

Post a Comment