Wednesday, January 12, 2011

8 Day Countdown

     8 days left until I leave for Cairo.  Time seems to be going so fast and so slow all at the same time.  Back in September, when I still didn't believe this could happen, I felt like I was running out of time to do everything I was going to need to do in order to make it.  


     I had scholarships to write for, applications to fill out, destinations and programs to look though until I found the one that most perfectly fit my goals, desires, and to be completely honest, my finances.  Are my essays going to be good enough?  Will my letters of recommendation get there in time?  Will I, a single mom, actually be able to go overseas and study for four months?


     Well, I did it.  I wrote for the scholarships, I arranged for the care of my children and it's phenomenal care.  I ate, drank and slept scholarship essays.  I contacted three different universities, that I had attended over the course of my almost ten year marriage and had them send countless transcripts all over the country.  I drank my coffee every morning for two weeks over edits and lists....but I did it.  I am going to Egypt!


     All that is left now is preparation.  The HIV test, the TB test, the gathering of prescriptions and new eyeglasses are done.  The scholarships have been awarded and spent on tuition, dorm fees, and a bus pass that will take me the 45 minutes from my dorm (In the middle of Cairo) to the campus of The American University in Cairo (AUC.)  Airline tickets are purchased (who knew that it was so expensive to go overseas?) I felt so triumphant clicking that "Purchase Now" link!


     The predominant cultural group in Cairo is Muslim.  It going to be a big adjustment for me and as much as a lot of people here in the states have many many preconceived notions as to how the culture treats women, Americans, or anyone not them, I am still so excited to go and to experience a culture different from mine.  I chose Egypt because it wasn't the United States.  


    Now I just have to pack....

No comments:

Post a Comment