Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Protests and Riots 01-28-2011

I have assured everyone at home that things here are safe and that nothing major is going to happen.  Then today happened.

The riots have progressed to all on violence.  I feel that we, on the island, are safe.  We are; however, able to see the smoke and hear the protestors loudly on the island.  As of 2PM, we have been locked down in the dorm because there was fear that the rioters would break though the line blocking them from the island.  Last night around 11:30PM, our ability to access internet all together cut us off completely with being able to communicate with anyone not in the room with us.  Even cell phone service has been suspended.

Around 2:30PM we were advised against leaving the dorm and we were authorized to access the 7th floor terrace so we could see what was happening (at a distance,) while still being safe.  We watched for several hours, at an extreme distance, the smoke from burning tires in three separate locations around us.  We could hear the crowds yelling and we could see the smoke trajectory of the tear gas cannons.

I want to comfort everyone by saying that every AUC student was accounted for prior to 2PM, but that would be a lie.  A group of around ten AUC students took it upon themselves to be involved.  One returned with the casing of a rubber bullet and a tear gas can. Another returned with a small cut/burn on his arm where hot glass had blown back on him.  Several others wanted photographs at significant risk to themselves.  We are all; regardless of risks taken, accounted for and healthy.

Many of us here are in total support of the citizens of Egypt.  The conditions of their existence are abhorrent and totally intolerable.  The current climate here calls for massive reform and the people deserve it.

Mubarak has been in office almost my entire life.  When he took office the previous president had been assassinated.  He was shot while standing during a public event and Mubarak (vice president at the time) was sprayed with his blood because he was sitting right next to him.  The people cared for him and believed that he was going to take their country in a good direction.  Twenty-nine years later and we have riots.  One of the most profound things about Mubarak’s presidency is that he has maintained the peace with Israel founded by his predecessor (Sedat) 1978.  Egypt is the only middle eastern country to have signed a treaty for peace with Israel. 

To put the conditions here in perspective for those not here, the average Egyptian lives on 459 L.E per month.  That is equivalent to $70.  I don’t know about anyone out there, but that is not an amount I could live on.  Don’t let me forget to mention that this amount isn’t for just one person.  It’s for an entire family.  I know people who spend more that more than that on cigarettes each month.  It’s messed up that this has been allowed to continue for this long without their political representatives helping them.  I guarantee Mubarak isn’t living on $70 a month.

While we are sitting at home worried we won’t be able to afford the newest cell phone until our contracts are up and we get a rebate, people here are worrying about where their next meal is coming from and how they will earn enough to keep eating. The people here are so grateful for employment.  Even in the dorms, the workers on the women's' side were just today scrubbing the stairs, by hand.  I needed to use the stairs and I was in my slippers (basically socks with non slip soles).  Instead of being unhappy that I was messing up their freshly scrubbed stairs, they were concerned and speedily drying the floor so I wouldn’t get wet socks.

I have spoken, in this blog, about the area and the beauty and at times I am ironic and sarcastic.  I haven’t spoken about the people.  They are a beautiful people.  Everywhere I have gone, I am treated very well.  The people here are gracious hosts.  If I have ever asked what a word is or what a word means, they help with a smile. This is a culture of people who want to give and find joy in giving.  The women are always ready with a smile and no matter how much you know they suffer, they will graciously offer assistance.

Egyptians don’t know how to say they don’t know when you ask directions.  They want so badly to help that they will give you directions even if they don’t know.  I was asking directions once and four men were trying to help me and all four were giving me different directions.  They just wanted to help and didn’t want me to walk away thinking that they weren’t willing to help.

I want to approach Islam in this situation.  I am so afraid that the media and previous misconception are causing people who are uninformed to blame the unrest here on Islamic extremism.  Islam has nothing to do with this rebellion.  If anything, Islam has slowed the intensity.  Islam requires followers to pray declaring Allah (God) as the only God and Mohammed as his prophet. They are required to do this five times a day; once at dawn, once at noon, once prior to sundown, one right after sundown and one at night.  This is strictly followed. 

Islam is an extremely peaceful faith.  They are faithful in the same way Christians are.  I would say more faithful than many who call themselves Christians.  As I said, they are gracious, helpful, and kind.  They only want what is due them as citizens of earth and members in the race of man.  Please, believe me when I say that this is not an Islamic uprising.  This is an uprising of the poor wanting their leaders to protect them and to do what leaders are intended to do; which is to provide a way of life that allows them to survive.  They don’t have this now.  This is a civil uprising.

This morning, I will admit, I went as close to the Nile bridge as I could in order to see the people massing in Tahrir Square.  I was in no danger, this was prior to any violence and at the very beginning of the people gathering.  We were however affected (due to wind) by the first few tear gas cannons shot into the air as a forewarning to those gathering.  To have just felt in my eyes and my throat the effects, made me admire the commitment those involved must have to their cause.  Multiple tear gas bombs were ejected into the crowds today and on Tuesday. High pressure water hoses were sprayed into the crowds.  It was even rumored that the government had authorized the use of live ammunition if the police or Army personnel deemed it necessary.

This is serious.  These people are serious.  They need to be taken seriously. They are starving, they are afraid, and instead of listening to them, the government disconnected them from the rest of the world and from each other.  Something needs to be done.  I have no power here, but if I did, I would help.  All I can do is sit here impotently watching the news and writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment