Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Family Affair 02-26-2011

I feel like having a perfect stranger living with you would be a huge awkward inconvenience.  Especially when it comes to family celebrations and gathering of any sort. 

DSCF0724Today was grandbaby Rica’s 2nd birthday.  Schon (shoon) Geburtstag, Rica!!  She has got to be the cutest little chubby thing on Earth. Every time she visits Klaus and Jutta’s (Oma und Opa) house, she hangs out with me or Kay.

I am affectionately called Auf.  Auf means open in Deutsch.  The first day I met Rica we spent about an hour opening the back of a broken Handy (cell phone) and closing it over and over.  Auf Auf Auf!  The next time she came over, she pointed at me and called me Auf and now when I am around her the family calls me Auf.  The day after I met her, I bought her a little wooden puzzle that we play auf with.

Anyway, her birthday was today and we made plans to go to Jana and Bjorn’s house for cake and presents at 3.  So I took the opportunity and asked Kay if he wanted to go out for pizza.  We set off at around 11am and I let Kay lead the way because I figured he knew which pizza place he wanted to eat at…nope he didn’t.  Eventually we ended up in the marketplace at the Italian restaurant there.  We each ordered our pizza and made stilted conversation while we waited.

When the pizza came out, I was surprised by how large it was.  I could only eat half of my ham and mushroom pizza and 12 year old Kay astonished me by eating the entire thing and drinking a mug of hot chocolate.  It blew me away.  This must have been a ten inch pizza.  I only managed three slices, eating slowly.  He very obviously enjoyed it.

After paying and leaving the restaurant we headed for the toy stores to buy Rica a present.  I didn’t want to not get her something, because I just love this kid.  Kids are kids no matter where you go or what language you speak.  I loved just talking and playing with her. Of course, I forgot that Kay was also a kid and he very nicely asked if he also could have a toy.  He even asked in English. So I bought him a toy also.Kay 1

I know that all the young frat/sorority/college kids back home reading this are going to crack up.  The toy Kay picked was a large cup that came with ping pong balls that you toss in various ways or bounce in various ways attempting to land them in the glass.  You tell me what that game is in the states.  The only difference, instead of Kay drinking, the cups starts screaming like a gorilla.  Fun times.

We ended up getting Rica bongo drums and a tambourine.  Klaus and Kay do drum circles so it will be something Rica can do with them at their house.  She was thrilled.

Jana welcomed me into her home graciously and we had a very good family afternoon. As you can see above, Kay was having a great time entertaining the whole family. (I love that they are so open minded about this here.  The first thing I thought of when I saw him in the skirt was about how up in arms a lot of people in the States would be about a 12 year old boy or any boy dressing up, even to make a family laugh.)  It was absolutely hilarious. It feels nice to laugh together.  Laughter has no language. 

Klaus wanted a family photo and I expected them to have me take it, but no.  He set the timer and I was even included in the photo.  I really love this family.  I can easily see myself keeping in touch with them for the next fifty years. 

DSCF0724

It takes a great deal of love and very open hearts to do what these families do for American students.  I know that most of the students are young.  Several are allowed to drink here and so they do.  Some are reckless, others are very responsible, but regardless these host families have a lot of spare room in their homes and in their hearts.  I think it really takes a great deal of pride in their homes and Germany to want so badly to have us here and to show us Germany in this way. They are so completely inclusive and welcoming and I wish that I could see more of that in the States.  It’s as if the whole world is a neighbor or a family member and therefore, they are embraced and respected. It really is a beautiful thing. Red heart

No comments:

Post a Comment