Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Countdown 05-01-2011

About four days ago, I started the countdown to going back home.  I realized that it’s coming up so fast and that I still haven’t seen all of Europe (not that seeing everything in Europe is ever going to happen,) and that I will have to say goodbye to my host family and I will probably never see them again.

It breaks my heart.

Yesterday, I started packing.  Deciding what comes, what stays.  Do I keep the Russian soldier hat that kept my ears so warm in Berlin?  Do I sneak rhubarb jelly and chocolate home with me?  What will home be like?

On top of all this, I am afraid I will forget how to speak what little German I have learned.  I think I am getting better.  I also have finals.  It’s a whole lot of stuff in not a whole lot of time.

I have so much to do this week.  I hope I get it all done.

I still need to go into the Nickolaikirche, I need to pick wildflowers, I need to climb to Schloss and take pictures of the town from above in the spring.  I need to get my kids one last souvenir.  I have to memorize my 12 sentence life story.  I have to study for finals.  I have to decide if I need to buy another suitcase or even just a cheap duffle.  I need to say goodbye.

Having a host family has been great, saying good bye to mine is going to be very hard.  They have become a part of me.

The biggest plus to going home is the kids.  I miss their faces.  I miss the clean hair smell and the goofy things they talk about.  I miss being a mom. I get home in 8 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment