Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Three Blind Mice 03-16-2011

We went to bed last night with the goal of a lovely relaxing day of just wandering Florence.  When I woke up, I knew something was wrong.  My throat was raw and I had a horrible dry cough.  I knew it was a cold, but I crossed my fingers that I was wrong, grabbed a soda and headed out with Flor and Zach to wander aimlessly.

We took this incredibly long walk towards what we thought was the end of town and after about three hours, I was in actual agony.  Every joint in my body hurt, I couldn’t breathe, my voice was in and out, my head was swimming.  I thought maybe I was feeling that way because I hadn’t had coffee and I hadn’t eaten so I stopped at this little hole in the wall produce stand and bought an orange and 8 fat olives. 

Oranges in Italy are amazing.  We call them blood oranges in Texas.  They are much juicier and much sweeter than Florida oranges.  I am hooked.  I am also completely addicted to olives here.  I am going to buy a great big jar of them before I head back to Berlin if I have the money.  They are nowhere near as salty as the green olives you find in the states.  I love them.

After we snacked on the olives and I ate my orange, I still felt like crap but I kept walking, hoping it would pass or that we would find a perfect street café at which we could enjoy pasta with Flor.  We did end up finding one and I had the special; fusili with gorgonzola and spinach.  It was heaven.  I also had a hot tea that felt so good on my throat.  After eating real food, I still didn’t feel better, so I knew I would have to give up.  I told Flor and Zach that I was going to cut out for the rest of the day and hope that even though we had checked out, the hostel guys would let me crash for a few hours.  I figured they would because they were pretty awesome.  Turns out they did, and they let us hang around and cook dinner until 8:30 when we got on the train to Rome. 

I slept for almost three hours.  When I woke up, my throat wasn’t ay better, but my muscles weren’t as achy and I felt like I could handle life.  I messed around with my photos on Facebook and when They got back from their Florence excursion, Flor and I headed out to buy pasta, sauce and bread.

It was a good day, even though I was sick.

The train to Rome was an entirely separate thing.  We got to the station and located our train, boarded and got situated.  The train was late at every stop.  I fell asleep several times which was nice, but the ticket guys kept waking me up bc My shoes were touching a seat.  The restrooms were nasty (no toilet paper, no water, the toilets were like backed up out houses because they had no water,)  AND the train was 30 minutes late getting into Rome. 

When we got into Rome it was full on raining.  I hope this isn’t and indication of what we have to look forward to in the next four days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment