Monday, March 14, 2011

Nicolas and Jacopo +10 03-14-2011

We arrived in Venice and got room at our hostel.  First off we went to the common area to check and see if Jacob or Zach had contacted us to give us info on their arrival.

In the room, we met Kristina and Kate.  They are both students from Holland and they rock something awesome.  We actually hung out with them the entire time we were in Venice. Anyway, we all decided to go to this amazing club that was only 2 blocks from the hostel.  We got all prettied up and headed out.

When we got there, we were turned away.  They told us it was a private party and we weren’t allowed in.  Turns out it was a gay party and they didn’t want straight people in attendance.  Even Flor was bummed and told them we don’t care if it’s gay, we just want to dance! 

So, as we were leaving and contemplating our going out options we met the mostclip_image001beautiful gay boy, Marco.  Marco spoke incredibly good English and informed us that he would get us into the party.  WOO HOO!!!  I have wanted to go to a gay bar/club the entire time I have been here.  These are my people!  He hooked us up with a guy who knew the name you had to have to get in the club…he said to tell them we were on the list of Nicolas n Jacobo +10.  We were in.  Later on, our beautiful blonde glittery gay boy brought Nicolas over to meet us.  He was gorgeous.  Turns out he was the dance/singer who would be performing and he was wonderful.

This particular club has a weird method of payment.  They give you a card when you enter and it has little dots on it.  When you check your coat the punch a dot, when you buy a drink they punch a dot and so on…  Well at the end of the night and you are ready to leave you take this card to the bartender and he rings you up and gives you a ticket so you can give it to the bouncer at the door who won’t let you leave without it.  I only brought 20 Euro and I got really drunk (story to be told later on) and I had an interesting night I don’t really remember.

So, I don’t get really really drunk very easily.  It takes a fair amount of alcohol to get me that way.  That night at the club, I literally had three drinks.  One was red bull and vodka, the other was this beautiful blue drink that Marco recommended.  I had two of those and I was WASTED.  I actually have memory gaps.  No more blue drinks for me.

clip_image002Anywho, it was a beautiful night with all of my lovely gay people and It is full of beautiful memories I only have because I took a million photos that night.

The next morning, we headed to Venice (the actual island)  We went by bus and climbed over this lovely bridge that is lighted at night and saw our first glance of Venice.  It was just like the movies.

clip_image003

Being as we really had no particular goal in mind, we wandered the narrow sidewalks randomly and passed through several courtyards.  Venice is incredibly beautiful.  There is just something about it that makes me feel so at peace.  I could live on this island city and travel by boat on my canal streets.  I am very in love with Venice.  We wandered for hours and still only saw a portion of the city before it started to rain and Kristina and Kate decided to head back to the hostel. 

I was determined to go to san Marco and Flor decided to go with me.  We got there just in time for them to close the basilica.  I was very very sad. Then, I decided I was going to suck it up and take the elevator to the top of the Campanile so I could see the city but that turned out to be 8 Euro and I am having a fear of running out of money, so I am being very conservative.  Needless to say, we headed back through narrow walkways and found our way back to the bus station and made our way back to the hostel.

Jacob and Zach showed up that night.  We were hanging out with A Dutch girl (Katrinka) and he traveling buddy from Canada.  (I forget his name.)  We were all just hanging out and chatting when Jacob and Zach arrived.  We all decided (sans Katrinka and Canada man) to go to Venice today so we could finish seeing everything.  I was sooooooo excited.

So today was the best day ever.  We went to Venice and I wanted to see the church and the Campanile (Zach paid for me to go with him,) and Kristina wanted to see the Museum and the Ducal Palace.  We ended up splitting up.  Zach and I and then the girls.

Lets just discuss San Marco.  Words can’t describe the beauty of this place.  Every surface of this massive church was covered in beautiful mosaics.  When I say mosaics, I mean off the charts, intricate mosaics.  It was breathtaking.  Even the floor was beautifully mosaicked marble.  I was in the presence of a monumental work of incredible love of their God.  Of course, workers got paid, craftsmen, guild members, and anyone else who worked to create this beautiful thing, but you can feel the dedication in every single teserae.

Then, we went up the elevator to the Campanile.  This is literally the tallest structure in Venice.  From the top you can see the entire city.  It’s so moving.  I actually was speechless.

While up in the tower, it’s bells chimed the hour.  we were four feet away from the bells. The sound was incredible.  I jotted down this thought when I was up there listening to the bells and seeing Venice:

“I am standing in the Campanile on the Piazza San Marco.  From here I can see all of Venice.  It keeps occurring to me like a shockwave that I am here and that I am so blessed.  The bells in the tower started ringing the hour right in front of me and I closed my eyes and felt tears.  I could feel the vibrations of the bells all through me and when I opened my eyes I had the sound of the bells and the view of Venice spread out all around me”

After the Campanile, Zach and I wandered the street taking fun and also beautiful photos.  We shopped for a shirt for him, and then we hit up a tiny Italian restaurant and shared wine and pasta for lunch.  It literally was the most amazing day.

Now, I am sitting in a hostel kitchen in Florence. We are going to spend the day tomorrow here and go on to Rome tomorrow night.  I am thrilled that we are planning another great day of calm tomorrow.  Venice made me feel alive and in love with the world.  I can’t imagine coming back down.

Venice 096

No comments:

Post a Comment